Saturday, December 15, 2012

Where I'm At!!

My name is Justin D. Torres. I came to NYC in early 2012, with the goal to be a voice over artist. I've done the odd gig or two with voices and voice123 but I want the big stuff so I came here.

I took the classes at Actors Access, it was alright at best. I was recommended to work with Dorianne Elliot, so I started taking classes with her. http://dorianeelliott.com/

She is amazing, she loves her students and will be 100 percent honest with you after the first one on one. She gives you homework and expects you to do it. She's also the most supportive person ever. As a casting director, she calls me in for both non-union and union auditions all the time.

Next up was Roger Becker, of Shutupandtalk.com. This guy knows his stuff. He's a casting director at Justvoices. He has a 6-8 week class where he just directs you and tells you everything you need to know about the voice over industry. He is amazing.

By combining the two and getting my demo done with Dori, I was able to pull Access Talent a voice over only agency. I was also able to get some non-union freelance on camera representation but since they dont have me for v/o, I rarely get auditions. Dori kind of warned me about jumping onto the first v-o agency that wanted me but they have treated me very well and I've been getting a lot of auditions.

Unfortunately, I haven't pulled any big jobs. Though the chances have been there. The question is how have I been able to support myself in the most expensive city of NYC. This is what the blog is about. Non-union voice over work.

I'll admit, I ain't rich. And I'm not taking vacations or running around town living it up. But, I am making it. Much more than I expected. This is just what I do now, while I wait to hit it big, so to speak. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment