Saturday, December 29, 2012

So there went Christmas and What have we done

Here i am sitting at my computer 3:47 am in amazement. I am officially done RECORDING (not editing) all of my audiobook called "Circle of Sorcerers: Immortals of Myrdwyer". I had set out with a goal of recording all of this 31st. SO I'M EARLY, now I've just got to edit.

For those who don't know what I mean, here's my explanation. There are two ways to record audiobooks the easy way and MY way. Easy way is called punch and roll, unfortunately, I can't do that. 1) it requires that you have a computer nearby (my desktop is noisy)  2) I just don't really know how one person can do it.

I've recorded smaller audiobooks in studios. Non-union as well off of V123. That was punch and roll. Me, I basically record the chapter all the way through, just repeating lines until I feel that they've been said correctly then at the end of every chapter. I render it and then I edit it using a film editing software. (I was a major in Film in college and know how to edit)

So, in my mind there is a list for audiobooks. One side is recording, the other is editing. And editing takes a tad longer.  Pros of EDITING are: Can be done at anytime (can be noisy) CONS of editing LONG TIME..... Pros of Recording: Less time and more fun. CREATIVE. CONS of recording: gotta have a quiet place.

I've been unfortunate to have to move on January 1st, which means, NO V-O and if I dare try, I may not be able to produce. Also, a few extra roommates are on the couch, so the sound levels are gonna go UP. I literally do my recording after midnight. SO I'M STOKED but I have LOTS Of work to do.

COOL THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT VO

1) Repeat Business happens. This is my third audiobook of this series. Also, I am constantly asked to do more jobs by people I work with. They know the quality and they like the price. Use it. If someone messages you saying, "We didnt choose you but we loved your audition" say thanks!!. It happens.

2) Make sure to be clear that a LOT of REWRITING of scripts = MORE money. I usually give minor rewrites, like sentences and what not for free. But after the first run, I say, "I can't do too more of these because at this point I am reading a whole new script". I did this recently with a job that was bad on grammar. He ended up sending me a redo of the job that was through voices as another job entirely. If you're rate is low, these things happen. In the 100-250 range, I go for $100.  Sure it's the low man but repeat business and redo's of scripts gets those to add up.

3) Always backup the RAW of your latest stuff, ESPECIALLY audiobooks. KEEP THE RAW until that book is being sold. It's a LOT of space, but you never know. If you lose that, it's gonna hurt.

Take care everyone. I hope to edit the next 18 chapters within the next 1-3 days. OUCH! long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment