Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas Day and working on a VO Book

Today was Christmas. Unfortunately, I'm away from family in California, but I've got a lot of work to do on my audiobook. I scheduled out 2 chapters a day to get it done by the new year.

Another crink in my schedule, I'm moving from one sublet to another on January 1st. So, I have to be done with this audiobook by then AND moved out. So, the time that I have is short but if I really work hard, I can do this.

I've found a few things about recording audiobooks.

1) It's about 3-4 to 1 for hours of  work. 8 hour book, takes about 24-32 hours.
2) It's cheap. Under 100 a recorded hour and its minimum wage. 150-200 and at least it feels like profit.
3) Pickups are going to happen. So you'll need the edited and RAW recordings available to edit though those.
4) There is a brain burnout point. Where you can't read or listen to anything.

Today, I edited one recording, took care of a few chapters of pickups for an older audiobook (still not paid for yet eck), and recording 4 chapters of the audiobook. I'm officially 2 days ahead. Here it is almost 4 am and I'm tempted to do another chapter just for that.

I haven't done any auditions because right now, this audiobook is killing my time. You may find that audiobooks are huge commitments and not work your time but in the end, I love them.

Sometimes you have to remind yourself if this is really a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment