Tuesday, October 15, 2013

How to Reinvigorate your Drive

Recently, I did an audition where the casting director took me out and said, "I think you have a really natural voice, I just think you need to know how to analyze a script to get that ups and downs feel. Peaks and valley's. (don't know if that's how it's spelled)", then he offered to coach me.

Initially, my brain got a little peeved. I kind of felt like I was being sold something. But, then I thought about it. VO has been a grind for me. I've been doing the same thing over and over again. I need to be thankful of where you are and where you are at in life.

With VO, I've found that if you're having a bad day or exhausted or just judgy in general it always comes across. Sometimes you have to differentiate the sound, go up here, down there. But never commit but just have fun with the copy.

Here's what I started doing before every copy to just spruce it up:

1) Remember what you are doing. This is VO, if it's a home audition, YOU ARE WORKING from home, this is freaking awesome. Get a little excited. You may no longer have a 9-5 soon. Congratulations. You're doing it.

2) Smile. Nod. Pat yourself on the back. You are the master of your domain, take stock of how you got the job. If it's voices, look at you investing in yourself. Awesome. If it's through a casting director, they heard you and they LIKE YOU!!

3) Relax, relax, Relax. This is not a job where you conform to their specs. I don't care who tells you that. You are not impersonators you are vo actors. Speak how you normally speak to a friend or family member but get excited about it.

4) Be thankful and inspired. Entitlement shows. Fear shows. Laziness shows. You only can do the best you can. Be okay with that.

Get out there and audition.

No comments:

Post a Comment