Saturday, September 20, 2014

How to do Tutorials in the Conversational Manner

Hey Everyone,

So, I'm on a bit of a marketing kick and so I ended up finding actual links to videos I've done and once I saw this series, I figured I would give a lesson on how to do these things.

Tutorials and websites usually have scripts with lingo that is very specific. Sometimes you have no idea what you are talking about.

Here's the link for the vid.


1) Know how they need the acronyms and hard words pronounced. That'll save you a pickup.

2) If it's terribly long and has lots of different files, go the one runthrough aspect. Don't double up unless they ask for it specifically or if you offered it. (just one runthrough is good). If it's a smaller tutorial, then by all means, do it 2-3 times, the client will love you.

3) How to say this stuff!

First off, I know what a PDF converter is but I have no idea what I was saying. That's kind of the cool thing about VO, you don't really have to know anything. If they want conversational, then you need to just explain.

Line: We're going to go through the steps of how to setup a database in the pdf convertor for sharepoint.

**Take that line and replace all the specific words with something that makes sense to you***

Line (to you): We're going to go through the steps of how to make a sandwich in the kitchen for friends.

** Take a note of where the inflections go and try and match the line on top of that with the other lines**

Sometimes they give clues about how you should feel.

Line: In other applications, copyrighting and accounting takes up too much cloud space, Sharepoint has unlimited bandwidth and can increase your productivity.

**The implication is that other applications are sucky, Sharepoint is good, that tells you where the lifts are but lets change the lines to something easier to understand.**

Line (To You): In other rooms, air conditioners and shelves take up too much living space, IKIA has tiny furniture and can make life easier.

**The way you say that line TO YOU, is the key on how to say the harder line.

4) Use physicalities to help. If your talking about something that is bad, try tilting your head. It'll give off the notion that, "Look, I know they kind of suck, but I'm a good guy". If you are presenting the product a lot, put your hands forward as if giving a gift. "It's Sharepoint", it can sound like, "It's a playstation!".

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful. As a beginner and throughout my professional career, I have done lots of tutorials. This is my meal ticket, hopefully it can be yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment